Sunday, July 11, 2010

Another ride- July 10

It finally dropped to 95 degrees after sunset, so I decided to ride Taffy a bit in the corral. She was respectful and dropped her head low for bridling and un-bridling. We communicated better- using the low port sweet iron curb with plain leather curb strap. Only once did she get flustered and hop up as if to rear. I gave her a verbal NUH UH UH.. and she quit.

Earlier in the day she had turned her rump to me while I was bringing out the mash buckets, and we had a CONversation. This consisting of "Don't you dare "dis" me... and hide your hiney QUICKLY. Then we yo-yo-ed (all with just the fly mask, no halter lead or stick...) She began licking and chewing. I was grateful for her obedience. I have done lots more yo-yo when I have the feed buckets, and requiring her to stand about 5 feet away until I set the bucket down. If she moves forward we back up again. Repeat until she obeys. She is going to be a great long ride horse with the drive she has!

This morning I peeled away some more bar with my new F. Dick hoof knife on her fores. Some sloughing dead sole came too. On her RF the frog was ready to go- shriveled up and separated so off it came. Left the boots off, as she was comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment