Sunday the 5th of September- a friend offered to have us join her for a trip to the Yavapai college High Plains Adventure horse show in Chino Valley. I dolled up Taffy and we loaded up at 445 am.
Taffy loaded and traveled like a pro- ate and drank well the entire time. She whinnied twice when we got there and then quieted right down.
We entered showmanship- placed 2nd of 3 (beat by a mini!!)
Halter mares we placed 4th of 6... I know she's not halter material, but just wanted to try for fun.
Our friend rode well in her classes, and placed 1st in both rail classes (no competition but she rode well regardless!).
I didn't want to push Taffy much, so we rode Walk-trot equitation and pleasure. 5th of 5 in eq, and 4th of 6 in pleasure. The judge preferred the english horses over the western and gaited, which were all in together in the walk/trot/jog classes.
I was pleased with her obedience and smoothness. He commented on Taffy's soreness- it was slight, and I couldn't feel it except when she stumbled a little (which the judge saw). So I put on the hoof boots for Trail- the trail judge approved them.
Trail was a trial, we have to practice our finesse and fine tune our communication!!! She wasn't naughty, I just overcued her. We did complete all obstacles without any knocks. We left before results were announced, but I was pleased with our round anyway!
Looking forward to the county fair show Sept. 19- this time walk trot canter... got out the drawreins today to encourage proper headset. Had a good workout this evening-in boots, on a search for a missing model rocket we had launched earlier today (found it!!!). Taffy is strong in the canter- outside. More arena practice needed... She was very forward tonight... the curb chain bounced off one side and she was still a good girl. Gotta add rubber bands to the curb hooks (myler correction D with hooks- Ss tack dot com sells it). Got mine on eBay :)
I'm planning to work her daily now, till Fair. That means 4:30 AM most days! Oh goody.
No comments:
Post a Comment