This morning Taffy had some water training... I took it slow and easy and other than a couple sideways leaps she did great! Even stepped one hind foot in the last time through.... This is fair trail class warm up!
Since her feet were wet, I removed the boots to ride in the wash. She was ouchy over gravel but comfortable on the smooth surfaces- asphalt, smooth dirt, sidewalks... And just fine in the deep gravelly wash. We worked on patience- she really likes to GO when we're out. I started out in the bitless, then bridled her from the saddle with the bit... good girl Taffy!
I changed to a shorter shanked curb bit with a leather curb strap- I am not light enough in the hands for the longer shanked bit with curb chain. I asked her to lower her head and back and pivot and sidepass one step at a time- it's getting better. I tried the leg wiggle cue for headset- I think she knows that. I lightly cued with the reins and waved my legs in and out slightly- she responded nicely. She also gave me lots of nice whoas with me exhaling strongly before saying WHOA. I think she likes advance notice ;)
Now, I am still wondering where her "Relax" button is.... She sometimes gets into a chewy fit of nerves- tries to chew the reins and bit shank... when she wants to go and I say Whoa :) This is when we ride out alone. She doesn't get like this much with a group.
Hooves- RF great, LF lateral outgrowing the medial, heel and quarters- and she needs a breakover adjustment. Hinds are chipping slightly so a new mustang roll is in order. Hind bars are a bit long- beginning to lay over sole. Needs new fore breakover... boots and pads for turnout is still giving the best results. Today was the first completely non-booted outside ride.... Happy mama...
No comments:
Post a Comment