Taffy was moving ok in her boots, and I wanted to try out my new CorrecTor on her. I bridled her up in the sweet iron low port curb, and saddled with the CorrecTor. It's a western large, and works better with my 15.5 Circle Y than the other CorrecTor I had. They work great- thecorrector dot net. website is very busy and wordy, but product is terrific.
We did some neck flexes, nice! walk, whoa, repeat... walk around the corral, so far so good. walk near the gate out into the track... uh oh... Taffy begins to hop and half rear. I said go right. She said no- I'm gonna go left and hop and act like I'm gonna rear. I wasn't gonna argue... but being the left brain extrovert she is, I expected her to respond well if we repeated the task until she obeyed. So I hopped off, asked for a hind quarters yield- a FAST one--- and reinforced it with the ends of the reins (just enough to make my point). Remounted, circled back, and approached that area again, asking her to pass the gate without going through. Same thing. I hopped off the off side and repeated my correction- opposite direction. After about 3 vigorous yields, she seemed to get it. I remounted and she was FINE- no fuss, no hop, no head toss or bit chomp, just walked by the gate obediently. We did walk through the gate after that, and down the track. After practicing leg and seat cues for pivot, side pass, back, whoa, we tried a few strides of jog. She favored the left fore, so I quit and our 20 minute stroll around the corral ended. I let her lick my hand as a reward. Just briefly! She licks less now that she has DE and loose salt free choice.
Sigh, it was awfully nice to ride her again (third time I think). I am re-learning my leg cues for her, since some of them are opposite of Honey's. I love how she responds to my seat- it helps me be more aware of what I'm doing. I am hoping I can show her at the county fair in Sept. Not going to get my hopes up too high.
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment