Thursday, June 10, 2010

Another bareback ride around the corral

Taffy is comfy in her boots so I worked with send cues over a tire in the corral. She wants to come to me and go around it. We try again... She figures out what I want and hops over. Good girl. I pet and praise her. A few successful goes and I hop on bareback. she is so sensitive that my slight shifts change her direction. She gets sassy at the gate- doesn't want to turn and tosses her nose when I jiggle the reins. So it's back to groundwork, get her attention back, and some mounted leg yields, pivots, backs and sidepasses. She wants so much to be good. Lots more trail miles to come! Wait till she meets the wading pool in the backyard --- my training tool for trail class water crossings. (and the dog's water dish/splashing pool- he's a lab after all)

Pea gravel was delivered today. Now it's up to me to move it to their favorite loafing areas and around the water and gate. 14 wheelbarrow loads down... not sure how many to go- I've dented the pile about 30 percent.

Taffy will have a week off to loaf starting tomorrow. I expect her to stand in the gravel a lot, since she won't have her boots on all the time. In boots with frog pads I see slight hitch in LF pastern on landing, none in RF. Happy happy...Will tweak the balance today.

No comments:

Post a Comment