Thursday, May 27, 2010

Today is the first barefoot day in 2 years for Taffy


Today I share this journey. A journey I began when I was 19, when my 10 yr old TB type Quarter horse was diagnosed with changes to his navicular bones in his fore hooves. I did not have the resources or knowledge to keep him, and it broke my heart. I didn't have any idea about natural hoof care. I was told that expensive corrective shoeing would help him. I tearfully donated him to a rescue, as I was on my way abroad for college.

Today, I pulled the shoes on Taffy, 2004 APHA mare. Also diagnosed with navicular. At age 4. For two years she has been in egg bar shoes, and successfully competed in pleasure and other events.

I was "converted" to barehoofing in 2006 after reading the Feb. 2006 Horse & Rider article. I wanted a more affordable option, and it turns out, a far healthier one to iron shoes. I thank Patricia* of Frazier Park CA for planting the seed way back in 2004. It was she who told me that her horses went barehoof, trimmed by Dawn Jenkins. I have never met Dawn, but I was impressed with Patricia's Arabians and how well they seemed.

So, now, 4 years later, I buy a horse many would avoid due to her diagnosis. I put what I have learned through trimming my own, (and various friends and acquaintances' horses.) to work.

I fear the worst- a hobbling horse, unwilling to move.

I am pleasantly gratified that Taffy moves off willingly, only tender on the caudal area when she steps on a large piece of gravel. Boots for riding I'm thinking. I have my Renegades ready.

Come back soon for pix!

No comments:

Post a Comment