I am glad that I left her shoes on for a few days after she came to me. I was able to get a feel for her personality and movement habits, giving me a base of comparison for her behavior barehoof and in boots and pads.
Tonight she comes to me as willingly as before, licks my hands as she loves to do. Moves with relaxed fluidity. I spread bermuda hay around the half acre dry lot that is our horses' home. Movement is key to healing, so this way we simulate grazing-they move from one clump of hay to the next, and nobody fights over the feed. Taffy adjusted quickly to the herd, and though is still on her own more than with the other two, they keep each other moving. I check her back. She is tender behind the withers- different muscles are working all the way up. She will have a chiropractic checkup in a few days.
Found a favorite scratch spot! I make it a habit to run my hands over my horses daily. Today Taffy let me know that she LOVES a scratch on the upper left shoulder. ohhhhh that felt good, she expressed through her stretched neck and extended nose and upper lip.
I don't see any evidence that she's been down for a roll since arriving. Might not feel safe enough yet. Tomorrow if it's not windy, I hope to pony her in the nearby wash.
I got to show her off to Sharla today, who thinks she's a great height and so pretty with her flaxen mane. I agree!!
This morning I trimmed a QH mare, an Appy mare, and fronts on an Arab gelding. The appy mare was wearing slipper feet a year ago. Now she has only to develop more frog and kick the thrush for healthy happy feet. We added frog pads under her Renegade boots, amazing difference.
Taffy also continues to wear the Renegade boots. I recently purchased a pair for Honey- for hinds so that she would have a full set. Turns out they are the right size for Taffy's fores. God knew in advance what we would need. Wow.
Such simple methods, such dramatic results.
Friday, May 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment