Sunday, May 30, 2010

PIC-Day 4: Continued Comfort

Pic is of Honey (L) and Taffy (R). They have been at peace with each other from Day 1. They would pull a 2 horse cart well together I think- except their stride length does not match.
Day 3: an hour and a half of ponying out and about, on varied terrain, with frog pads and front hoof boots in place. about 20 minutes into our foray, Taffy offers to trot alongside, even jumped a dry streambed with eagerness (gives "go take a flying leap" new meaning for me)... Maybe she will be my hunter mare after all *wink*


Not much in the reactive/spooky side- she is attentive to what's going on, and learning to pay attention to where her feet will land. She can feel them so much more now. She took to ponying like she had done it all her life. Comes right along. Like Honey, she is a weed diver- when she can get away with it.


Later in the afternoon- RF boot is hanging around her pastern by the retention strap. Guess I better shorten the cables. Reapplied new frog pads and rebooted. Shortening will wait till tomorrow.


Day 4- boots installed and fine this morning. I adjust the cables, the toe retention velcro strap has more grab area. They stay put better. She is only slightly tender in the corral with just frog pads. The boots make her comfortable. I notice I have left one heel slightly longer than its partner. I will adjust that today.


Another hour and a half of ponying today- lots of pressure/release to speed healing and development of lateral cartilages, digital cushion, and expand the hoof. A horse I had trimmed bare for over a year was shod for a month. Her hoof contracted substantially in those 4 short weeks. I almost cried when I pulled her shoes. I saved a shoe as a reminder of the heels trying desperately to expand on impact- it was worn shiny on the heel area.


I see a slight short-stride on the RH today. At least it appeared that way from Honey's back. No hitch in pasterns, though Taffy stubbs her RF toe occasionally still. Note to self: back up toe a little more, ensure balanced heels.


Taffy still greets me, comes right to the gate and asks to lick me. I let her lick my palms as a reward. She was licking my jeans as I adjusted her boots. Note to self: get loose salt.


She seems more relaxed each day, her corral mates are ok with her. Glory still pitches a hissy fit now and then, making her pig squeal at Taffy. No fur is flying though. She and Honey share nose sniffs without squeals, even while ponying. I appreciate Honey's steadiness, and am happy for her new owner- she will have many happy trails. I feel like I have my cake and am also eating it.... I have Taffy- as fancy a horse as I ever hoped to own, and Honey, though not mine now, is still here and I have her owner's permission to ride her.


I am still counting my blessings! God is good.





No comments:

Post a Comment