Shortly after sunrise, while the western mountains still glowed desert mauve, Taffy and I headed out for a stroll. She walked carefully over our one inch gravel driveway, and comfortably on the road shoulder, with the occasional bobble over a large rock. Taffy now hunts the good footing. As we sauntered along a dirt/gravel road, she drifted to the softer desert footing. She did move well on the hard packed roads, but preferred the give of the shoulder area. Can't blame her! Other barefoot horses I ride do the same. They know what feels good! We cantered a bit, jogged a bunch, and walked at varying speeds. Aside from the wicked wind, it was a gorgeous morning. The wind is worse tonight, with a chance of rain, so the equines have their slickers on (waterproof breathable turnouts). The run in shelter isn't big enough for all 3 at once, so they wear their shelters ;)
I'm thinking my saddle is too long for her. 26 inch skirts.... she kicks out each time we canter for the first time on a ride... Maybe the skirts are irritating her hips?! Or I just have to keep it from sliding back...
note to self- "clunk" in fetlocks at the walk disappears on soft footing. No jar at any other gait.
Saturday, November 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment