Monday, October 17, 2011

New town new life

We moved to the Phoenix AZ area this past summer. Taffy has joined us and lives in an irrigated pasture with 5 other horses. Hoof changes were expected- yep- she grows more wall since the footing is minimally abrasive. The irrigation comes every 2 weeks and provides a period of moisturizing mud that she must cross in order to eat hay (still gets bermuda twice daily). Soles and bars are more pliable as she is not on a dry lot. I have to be more vigilant about thrush overgrowth.

Her asymmetry in the forehooves continued to puzzle me. Then a friend had an equine bodyworker visit for her horse a few weeks ago and she also looked a moment at Taffy. She pinpointed issues in the shoulders and ribs. Her right fore is already more symmetrical since getting a quick adjustment to the shoulder. The heels on that foot now look even when brought down to LSP. Another piece to the puzzle is falling into place. Is it the final one? I am eager to continue learning.

If I forgot to mention it, the 00 renegade boots I initially used for her fore hooves no longer fit. She has decontracted to 0. WOO HOO! She goes well on most surfaces- needs boots only for the rockiest areas. Not one lame step :)

I do have her 1 year anniversary hoof trim photos from May but haven't uploaded yet. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment